Food fads come and go but here on the farm coconut oil has long been a staple in our kitchen. So, while this versatile, heart-healthy fat enjoys some well-deserved time in the spotlight, we’re here with 3 pretty darn good reasons why you should consider using it all the time, even once the trendiest foodies (inevitably) move on to the next big thing.
1. Coconut oil is an amazing superfood.
There are seriously almost too many health benefits to list here but, at the risk of gushing, allow us to share a few of our favourites:
- It supports healthy cholesterol levels and helps ward off stroke, heart disease, high blood pressure and plaque build-up in your arteries
- It helps to balance your blood sugar levels
- It works to reduce chronic inflammation and supports tissue repair
- It stimulates the production of ketones, which give the brain essential nutrients that help slow the process of aging
- And it fights bacterial, viral, fungal and parasitic infection and helps to build a strong immune system
See? We don’t throw the word “superfood” around lightly.
2. Coconut oil is a fat. It won’t make you fat.
Toronto nutritionist Melissa Ramos sums it up best: “Fat, including coconut oil, doesn’t make you fat. The fats in coconut oil are burned by the liver as fuel, not stored in the body.”
In fact, not only is coconut oil more easily and quickly digested than other fats, it’s been proven to increase energy levels, stimulate metabolism, regulate thyroid function and curb your cravings.
3. Coconut oil is easy to use.
Swapping out vegetable oil for coconut oil in your cooking and baking is next to effortless. Though it’s a soft solid at room temperature, it quickly liquefies when heated and resists oxidation, meaning it has a long shelf life. Experiment with coconut oil to make your favourites healthier and even tastier.
Here’s a few of the ways we use it in our kitchen:
- Try it in lieu of butter or vegetable oil to bake moist, delicious muffins
- Combine it with ghee to start your day with a bulletproof coffee
- Use it to sauté vegetables or veggie fritters
- Toss melted coconut oil with spices, garlic and sliced potatoes, then bake
- Mix with fresh spices and top a nearly cooked steak, then place under the broiler for 1 min.
For more info on the health benefits of coconut oil, read Why You Should Cook with Healthy Fats.